Patriotic Events During Fleet Week New York City 2016
Celebrating 28 years of honoring US maritime services in the cultural capital of the country, upwards of 4,500 Sailors, Marines, and Coast Guards are about to sail into town for NYC Fleet Week / Memorial Day. New York City embodies everything that makes our nation great, from a world of cultural diversity to an undeniable sense of community uniting us all. What better place to commemorate the brave men and women who volunteer to protect our shores?
7 Days of FREE Ship Tours, Concerts, & Parades
Starting with the Parade of Ships on Wednesday the 25th, Fleet Week is literally a seven-day celebration of modern seafaring armed services. To help you plan where to be when, here's a helpful calendar of the year's most anticipated events, all within an hour of our SoHo hotel, via subway or taxi:
- The Parade of Ships (May 25th) - Beginning around 10am, an impressive procession of tall ships, aircraft carriers, destroyers, and combat vessels make their way through New York Harbor. Views are best from Battery Park, or anywhere along the Hudson River.
- Public Ship Tours (May 26-30th; 8am-5pm) - Entirely FREE on a first-come, first-served basis, these incredible tours are offered daily at the Intrepid Museum, Piers 88S and 92S in Manhattan, the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, and Sullivans Pier on Staten Island.
- Fleet Week New York Community Music Festival (May 29th; 12pm) - Staten Island's Flagship Brewing Company hosts this afternoon party, complete with live military bands, BBQ, and beer.
- Maspeth Memorial Day Parade (May 29th, 1pm) - Of all parades during Fleet Week, this one in Queens is the largest.
- Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Day Observance (May 30th; 10am) - Held at at Riverside Drive & 89th Street, this is Manhattan's official holiday ceremony.